After much preparation ( and a good deal of time spent driving out to her winter resting place in Stillwater ), I’ve managed to get my S2 8.0 Sanctuary up to the big lake, into the water, rigged, and over to her slip in Red Cliff.

It was by a factor of at least 3 the largest load I've ever towed, but my rusty old F-250 power stroke made short work of the trip ( finally, I feel like I didn't overdo it on the truck purchase).

I was nervous about vertical clearance; though the boat seems incredibly tall on its trailer, it's actually only about 12 feet or so, and therefore easily clears anything a semi trailer can drive under. Nevertheless, the first few bridges I went under made me quite nervous. But, just like the previous owner assured me, it cleared everything just fine.

2016 montgomery sailboat launch I brought the boat up to Schooner Bay for the launch. It was near my slip and I could arrange the launch fairly early in the year (May 13th) and on a weekend that aligned well with my schedule.

The launch went well. It was fun to watch the big crane pick up the boat and plop it into the lake. I'm used to folks with big industrial machines wanting me to stay far away, so I got a kick out of having to scramble onto the boat while it was still in the sling to make sure it wasn't going to sink ( while it's still attached to a big crane is the ideal time to realize the water's not saying on the correct side of the hull). But, she was dry as a bone inside.

The riggers attached the stays and upper shrouds and left tensioning and the lower shrouds to me. I didn't expect this, but it was a good opportunity to get some hands-on experience with the rigging. It took a surprisingly long time - hours! - to figure out the standing rigging, run all the running rigging, get a clevis pin through the gooseneck, and all the mistakes that went along with it. But I finally got all the pieces hooked up and we seemed to be ready to go.

I had a bit of a scare when I tried to leave the wharf, as I had managed to disengage the transmission. I then wondered, why is the boat not moving? But luckily my mistake was fairly obvious, and I made no such error the next time. The lower unit engaged and for the first time I brought the boat out into the lake. (Actually, truth be told, I first had to follow a serpentine path out from the wharf and past the marina, keeping carefully to the dredged channel and away from the shoals and the wreck out in the middle of the bay. But it wasn't as hard as I thought it might be.)